Thursday, February 5, 2015

Who I Think I Am



Van Heusen 1950's Advertisement
Hello! My name is Kaycee Barris and I am a sophomore at Hunter College. I am a double major in Anthropology and Media Studies with a concentration on Cultural Anthropology and Media Analysis and Criticism. I was drawn to this course largely in part because I love to be academically invigorated and courses such as this provide me with the academic intensity that I desire.

Though the media is sometimes beneficial (such as receiving information more quickly and creating a global village), viewers without much experience with media messages (such as children) are rather susceptible to their hegemonic power. However, I have always been critical of media messages. I’ve always questioned the mediums in which we so often take for granted as a social constructing agent. Much of whom we are is based off media images. Though I try to avoid it, I sometimes participate in this act as well. I believe that I am invisible if my body is not on display and I feel ugly if my face isn’t caked with makeup. Though I do not succumb to these expectations of beauty, I still judge myself against them.

Personally, my media consumption and production is quite static. My only form of media production is my daily rants on Facebook and occasional picture on Instagram; however, I spend multiple hours a day browsing and critiquing articles and images. When looking for serious news I look to the less popular news sources such as BBC World News and Al Jazeera. I firmly believe that advertisements consume most of what we see and I try to steer away from most mediums for that reason. However, as I’ve stated, the media is a social constructing agent. Thus, it is difficult to get away from what has seemingly helped shape our culture. It is one thing to shut off the television and throw out the newspaper and magazines, but escaping a society of media enculturated individuals is nearly impossible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment