Monday, February 9, 2015

Who do you think you are?


I happen to be one of the many expats that reside in New York City, and although, I hail from another major metropolitan, Miami isn't as diverse as the infamous melting pot of the world.  So going into my sophomore year,  I took a photography class at Borough of Manhattan Community College, which completely transformed my perception of the medium and the amount of freedom I was given to express not only my point of view, but also of those who are unable to tell their own story. “When you learn something from people, or from a culture, you accept it as a gift, and it is your lifelong commitment to preserve it and build on it” Meeting people of different walks of life, speaking to them, living with them has altered my awareness of culture and how it can really shape a human being, and this idea of preserving our relationships with others is exactly what I want my photos to portray, images that speak universally.

Obviously it would be said that our generation is a culture that is overstimulated by media and I would have to agree. My first instinct when I wake up is to give myself at least a couple of minutes to scroll through my Instagram feed, check my updates on Facebook, and as soon as I sit down at a desktop I automatically go to the Gothamist, Huffington Post and Refinery. As unhealthy as it may be, it seems to be the only form of communication a good majority of people respond to and keeps us up to date on the various on goings of all our friends and favorite artists. With all these platforms of social media and outlets that are virtually accessible to all it is difficult to say that in some small way our opinions on certain issues aren't shaped by the imagery we are bombarded by or things we read on a day to day basis. How much of our common experience involves mass media events? A large number of our media consumption is shared and discussed frequently; from BeyoncĂ©’s new single, to the Mike Brown shooting, and the trailer for the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. Every large shared experience is posted, shared and retweeted and everyone is aware of our opinion on the subject.


I only feel now that being a senior and majoring in Media Studies, I have only recently become more on the critiquing and media making end versus only being a consumer. Besides my interest in photography I  also have become intrigued by documentaries lately and though they only hold so much truth, it is fascinating to see someone else’s view on a topic and their attempt at exposing what they believe to be factual. Media only allows me to express my identity to a certain extent; social media is as far as I go and even then I tend to tread lightly because of the negative light it can sometimes shed. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnGsh-3fYQ

No comments:

Post a Comment