Friday, February 6, 2015

Who am I


Photo by GQ


My name is Wei Wang. I am a senior at Hunter College, declaring in general media major. I think I am a media maker in many ways, but not yet a real media maker that can use media as a tool to influence others. However, I believe that we are all receivers and giver in society nowadays. As  receivers, we can either be critical or reliable. In another hand, as givers, we can either be influential or informal.  

My position in media now is as a receiver than a giver, but I am hoping to be a giver in the future. Social media is a very powerful tool to affect people in society, either in a good way or bad way. To me, mostly I use Facebook to get information that happen recently, and use Instagram as a space to express myself and to know others. People usually identify me through social media, which might be a slightly different vision of me. However, I always believe that people have way more to say in real life than on social media. But these social platforms does give people a chance to know you more, and unconsciously influence others indirectly. 

For example, one of my favorite actresses, Jennifer Lawrence, influences and inspire me in a lot of ways. Media makes me think of her as a nice, honest,  and a fun person with true personality. Jennifer Lawrence attracts me with her personality on every interview she had, and I admire her in every way as a role model. The interviews she has done with television, magazine or public not only focus on how success she is now in the industry, but how she feels to be a part of it. Jennifer expressed her thoughts about the image of women couple times in public, she disgusts the invisible standard of how a woman's body should shaped. As a result, she encourages women around the world to be confidence in themselves, be healthy and not be afraid of getting judged by others. Jennifer is not afraid to be called a plus size star, and she refuses to go on diet no matter what. 

The reason why I think social media is powerful to change people's lives, is because you never know what message is going to strike you or change your life. For a mega star like Jennifer, to spread the idea through the mass media do matter, and it's much more powerful than anything else. Because of Jennifer, I become more confidence and less judgemental to myself and others. I believe we can all be a part of the social media and participate as a giver to help more people to create a better world for people to live in, non-judgemental and more lovable. 

Here is a link of an interview with Jennifer Lawrence. In the audience, a father brought up a question for his teenage daughter, and this is what Jennifer replies.





No comments:

Post a Comment