Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Who do you think you are? -Niamh McDonnell

Who do you think you are? 
What is your role in media consumption, critique and/or media making. How much of who you are is measured against media examples? How much of our common experience involves shared mass media events? How does the media fit into your life and your identity? Use several media examples to illustrate your description of your relationship to media. Your blog post must be at least 3 paragraphs and you must include at least one link and one image. 

Hi! I'm Niamh and I'm a sophomore at Hunter majoring in Media and minoring in French.  I originally had the intention of being an English major but Media 180 changed my life (and I have a feeling this class is going to do the same).  After learning about the history and impact of public relations from Professor Ewen, I was eager to pursue it as my major.  I'm not entirely sure what aspect of the media I want to base a career in.  I love discovering new music and exploring musical expression so becoming a music journalist would probably be something really enjoyable for me.  However working behind a camera is also something that I'm interested in, although I have little experience in the area.  Last semester I made a documentary-style film for my Typecasting class about the homeless in New York.  It was the most eye-opening experience of my life and sharing others' stories through the medium of film was so fulfilling. 

As far as consuming media goes, I am a twitter fanatic.  I'm not proud of it, but I'm almost always on my phone because of twitter.  Whether I'm looking at updates (both news and social) or making tweets, it has had a huge impact on my life.  It's the main outlet for my everyday thoughts and events.  I'm constantly posting and keeping my twitter up to date, not really for other people but for myself.  I like to think of it as a personal archive that I can look back on.  I also have a love for twitter because the impact it has made not only on me but on the news world.  During the police brutality protests in November/December I searched hashtags to get updates on what was going on and where I could join in.  Live, first hand information right at my fingertips.  It's the perfect example of how social media is transforming the way we receive our news (which makes being a media major a lot more exciting because the future of this transformation is in our hands).  

Media sparks my interest in other ways as well.  I'm an avid Netflix user and I'm always trying to watch new things.  Whether it be documentaries, movies, or TV shows I try to keep as informed as possible.  I recently watched Sexy Baby, a really interesting and relevant documentary that showed how technology has promoted negative portrayals of women in the media and how this has affected both women and adolescent girls.  This is another reason why being a media major is so important to me.  Whether it be through film, television, music, advertising, or news, the media essentially controls everything we see.  This can be extremely toxic, but if the power is put in the right hands it can be beneficial.  I want to use the power of the media to make a change for the better.  

Here's a picture I posted to Twitter during the protests and a link to the Sexy Baby trailer: 


Sexy Baby Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment