Sunday, February 8, 2015

Who do I think I am ?




My name is Dejanira Budansingh, and I am a sophomore at Hunter College. Just recently I declared my major in general Media Studies, and I am considering a minor in English Literature. I would have to say that after taking Media 180 at Hunter, I became infatuated with media studies. I took this course because I believe society tends to overlook women in the media, and wanted to examine how they are represented when acknowledged. It’s very rare to find a course that is centered solely on the female gender. 

Currently my role in mass media is as a consumer, but I am slowly trying to transition into being a producer. Being not only a female but of mixed ethnicity, in the media people of my distinction are not always shown in the best light.  And i would like as a producer of media change thatJust recently in my Media 150 class I learned how to use common photo editing software’s such as Photoshop and illustrator. And since learning to use these software’s it is easier to spot when they’re used in today’s media. Now in my Media 160 class I’m learning about video editing. I enjoy learning these behind the scenes media processes because I want to know every angle of the business.


In todays day and age media is everywhere it can’t be escaped. In my current life social media is a means of interactions not only with friends, but family, as well as potential employers. I use social media sites for different reasons, for example I use Facebook to stay in touch with old school mates where as I use sites like LinkedIn to network. Much of my use on sites like blogger is to showcase my compositions and productions from school. On a bigger scale a major contributor to the success of President Obama’s presidential campaign was social media. With that being said whether you like it or not media is inevitable and is here to stay.



No comments:

Post a Comment