Saturday, February 7, 2015

Who am I? David Adler

Who am I? Good question. I am different things to different people and known by most as David Adler. In short, I am an upper senior student (technically) at Queens College with a Media Studies major, and probably a relatively unassuming 20-something to most people. As far as my involvement in media as a whole is concerned, I generally enjoy consuming media on my own. I love a good movie now and then, as well as making fun of ones that I think are terrible. I am generally not critical of the media that I consume as I, like the majority of people, usually consume media that I enjoy or find informative. Regarding news and information dissemination, I do not believe that any one source is gospel. I analyze it and then I choose to form my own opinion. I can be very opinionated, but I usually choose not to express my opinion as I am generally averse to controversy among my peers.

In addition to consuming media, I am also on the other side of the fence. I have worked in the production of photography, videography, and music from varying angles and in different degrees. Of these things, I am probably first and foremost a musician. I am a freelance guitarist, mostly playing at weddings and other events for as long as I've been in college. I have a great interest in photography as a hobby, and I have done a handful of professional shoots. My involvement in video production is slightly more complex. I have shot (terrible) short films and music videos. However, I am very (I suppose) passionate (would be the right word) about the technical aspects of filmmaking and video production, to a degree that I hold a full time job writing about the equipment involved. Hence, I love documentaries like this one.


The Great Camera Shootout 2011: Episode 1 ~ "The Tipping Point" from Zacuto on Vimeo.

Oh, and some photography samples...
If you can't tell, I like 'street photography'. I also enjoy incorporating film into my mostly digital photography repertoire.

Coney Island Terminal

76420006

I am involved in social media, but not extensively. I did not have a Twitter account until this class. I have a Facebook account that I use to keep in touch with my friends and to read the occasional article that gets posted there. Probably the two largest forms of modern internet media consumption that I am involved in are YouTube and Netflix. On YouTube I am subscribed to quite a few channels that I follow avidly, mostly those that involve music, photography, and video production. As for Netflix, I love epic TV shows like House of Cards and watch the occasional good movie that I happen to find.

While I know that I stated above that I usually don't express my opinions I will do so now, if not just for the fun of throwing a wrench into my whole post. I am very wary of advertising, and I am annoyed by it. I find that it is disruptive and informs me about products that if I were interested in them, I would find out about them using independent sources first. If they want to fix advertising, make it honest, interesting, and above all, not disruptive (but some would say that's probably the point... and that's a discussion for another time).

No comments:

Post a Comment