Monday, February 9, 2015

Who do I think I am...?

My name is Zehui Liu and I am currently a sophomore who studies media at Hunter College. The reason I took this course was primarily on Media180 and WGS100 and I wanna see the role of women in the media field and what kind of images do women have in the social media. I always love playing games and watch gaming videos on Youtube. Maybe some of you find this is boring but I do feel the passion when it comes to games and I do think this is beneficial to people because this is the way of release yourself from the high pressure that you have from your work or school. And I do believe this is beneficial to people somehow because some of them are able to train your teamwork ability(like League of Legend) and some of them help with agility which I think is helpful in real life. However, I do feel concerned when it comes to women’s body image in the game characters.

Nowadays numerous game developers or gaming companies tend to make female characters appeared with less clothes and more sexual to the male gamers so that they are attracted by those figures and willing to play(or pay) the game compare to those figures with more clothes and so-called “not ideal” body image(like flat boobs). As for male characters, most of them have decent clothes and even if they show more skin, it doesn’t consider as a problem because a lot of people believe that they look cool from head to toe. I remember once I was watching this Asian drama and one of the male characters played as a Japanese mangaka(person who draws mangas) and he asked his friend “Do you why do all the female characters in my manga have very short skirts?” His friend had no idea, then he showed this frustrated look and said “Because that’s the only way I can sell more copies”. We can see how this stereotype has been appeared into our society with less clothes on women in order to gain men’s attentions. And I think this is what people need to take that as the concern and change their ideas on women’s role in this society.
(I realized how much I have been talking about games lol)... Other than games, I’m interested in the fashion industry(watch runways, read fashion magazines etc) and also like playing piano(when I had the chance), listening to music and watch Youtube videos when I’m free. Right now I am definitely a media consumer and when it comes to social media, I see my myself more of a reader rather than uploader because I tend to see the update of other people’s lives other than uploading my own pictures(but nowadays I started being active on instagram :) ). I feel it’s essential for me to be a producer in the future to persue my media career and I think it’s important for a media maker to produce positive things to consumers and interact with their ideas instead of leading them to a wrong path. (bring positive messages rather than provide fake things just to attract people’s attention).
PS: Attached picture is the “female revolution march” staged by Karl Largerfeld at Chanel Spring 2015 runway show. This runway finale is rare among all the other fashion shows and I like the idea of how the fashion industry is attached to the women’s rights and spread out the idea of become who you wanna be. The video clip is the speech that made by the famous British actress Emma Watson on the “HeForShe”Campaign(a solidarity movement for gender equality)on this special event held at the UN.


No comments:

Post a Comment