Monday, February 2, 2015

Who do you think you are? - Eloisa Martinez


What is your role in media consumption, critique and/or media making. How much of who you are is measured against media examples? How much of our common experience involves shared mass media events? How does the media fit into your life and your identity? Use several media examples to illustrate your description of your relationship to media. Your blog post must be at least 3 paragraphs and you must include at least one link and one image. 


Hi, as the post title says, my name is Eloisa. I'm really excited about this class because the type of discussions that we will be having throughout the semester, I have them with my sister. We have always wondered, commented, discussed certain situations and depictions in movies about minorities and majorities. Before it used to be an informal discussion but now I'll have "proof" and the technical, academic terms to back it up. :) I firmly believe that we, as an audience or as a consumer of media, should not take the consumption of media lightly. We need to question, wonder, investigate, and make our own decisions about what is being sold to us. Only recently, about a year ago, I was introduced to The Onion (the satirical news group) and the concept that they're working with is fantastic! And Mindy Kaling (The Office!) talks about the topic of women on both of sides of the media because she is on both sides, which I find fantastic!


I've never really been a passive anything, I like to learn and understand the world around more. Ignorance may be bliss but it's extremely harmful to society, which includes us although some may want or think otherwise. I don't think it's possible for the media to not influence who you are because if there is something the media portrays and you don't like it, you set yourself against it; that is an influence. I don't strive to be like any particular artist or what not, but I like to pick the best things or the things that I like most from different media examples (especially books). Our common experience involving mas media events is shrinking, relatively, thanks to the advent of the mp3 player. Instead of going to concerts, you can have a party on your own on the train or at home. :) Group chats and blogs exist but it's not quite the same thing. 

I like to watch movies and discuss what I liked and didn't like, the topics and factors to rate a movie as "excellent" or "poor" always include gender, portrayal, stereotypes, etc. I refuse to watch 50 Shades of Gray or read the book for that matter because of the type of message that I'm understanding from it. I don't read gossip magazines or have ever watched "Jersey Shore" because then I would be buying into that type of "group" or audience and I prefer not to. Even though there are movies which I love and I'm willing to let pass, I'm not blind to their faults. :) For example, The Hobbit. All men, one woman (throughout the entire film, except for Galadriel who shows up in the first 10 minutes of the last film and disappears) who plays the love interest. All are white men, no diversity in the ethnic background of the principal characters. There is this amazing youtube channel where the guys narrating the videos are really explaining what a movie is about called "Honest Trailers" and seeing as how Frozen was mentioned in class (a movie I have not seen and don't plan to) I think it will be good to listen to. They have other amazing stuff that I highly recommend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment