Wednesday, February 4, 2015

POST 1 on the class blog: Who do you think you are?

My name is jo chen, the last time I checked, I think I am an upper senior at Hunter College.  I had to declare a major when I reached 60 or so credits so I decided on Media/Film because I love watching movies, TV shows, and take photographs.  I was a Freshman at Hunter College back in 1976, but after two and half semesters even with a decent GPA, I decided that college was not for me, or at least not at the time so, I got up one morning and enlisted into the Air Force were I did a six year tour stationed in the United Kingdom.  It was an interesting time during the Cold War ear and I had the opportunity to do some pretty interesting things for Uncle Sam in the name of God and country, and they let me take photograph for them on certain occasions. 

I guess my role in the media consumption is just that, I am a consumer. I love watching movies, I do not have a particular favorite genre, but I do enjoy techno-Thrillers, Science Fiction, and some comedy.  I enjoy photography, I am still new to digital photography and occasionally I still use my analog film cameras.  I have dabbled in digital video for a previous media class and occasionally I do hit the little red dot button and see what I captured.  How much do I measured up against media examples, I do not know? I guess I am kind of “old school” when it comes to today’s social media and all the personal electronic devices. I do have a facebook page, just started Instagram, and had to open a Twitter account for another Media course, but I rarely use it.  Okay, I used it to tweet just for the sake of tweeting but I had no followers and I was not following anybody, because at the time I thought what the hell can you do with 140 characters? Okay, I guess quite a bit.

Personally, I prefer not to share my personal stuff with the mass media and besides, I do not think anyone is interested in what I think or what I have to say. Occasionally, I throw in my two senses on some posting on facebook, but after a while reading some the comments on the threads posted, there are some really nasty, hateful and ignorant two legged out there. As to how much media fit into my life, I wander a lot, I like walking and take in things around me, so I guess I do the same on the internet.  Beside movies and photography, I also like nature and wildlife, sports and anything that takes me outside.  I do get lost in Youtube looking for music, how to tutorial videos and cooking technique and recipes.


I still have not found myself or what I truly want to do yet, but I am currently working in the social and human services field, a far cry from what I used to do before September 11, 2001.  In 2003 when I landed a regular 9 to 5 grinder, I decided to contact Hunter College and see if I can come back and take some courses to keep my brain occupy, it is now 2015 and I am still at it.  I do not know when I will be graduating, frankly, I do not care. I will get there when I get there. So far the journey back to school is better this time around. 

Somewhere in TriBeCa

No comments:

Post a Comment