Sunday, February 8, 2015

Who do you think you are?


Hello there, My name is Karen Ordonez.  I am an upper junior majoring in emerging media and minoring in women gender studies.  I am excited for this class because I get to experience both my major and minor studies in one.  Transferring to Hunter, I struggled to find what I wanted to major in.  I've tried taking many different classes to see what really interested me.  After taking Media 180, I just wanted to continue and eventually making it my major.  The same goes for women gender studies.

In my daily life, I consume alot of media; Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube are my main consumptions.  Through Instagram and Facebook, I usually stay in touch with friends and see what they are up to in life.   YouTube is for my entertainment.  I usually look for many things on YouTube but mostly funny videos (especially videos from Jenna Marbles and Joe Santagato).  Now and  then I read magazines and newspaper or watch the news, but i usually get my information through Facebook or Instagram.  And if i ever want to know more about it, I Google it.

In today's society, everyone consumes media in someway.  It helps us stay connected to the world but media also has its bad side, especially with women.  One of the reasons why I'm excited about taking this class is the topic of women's body image in media.  I feel like it is an important topic considering the fact that media only show women with the "Perfect body", and making young women insecure.  Media has its devil side and consumption of it can be damaging people's mind but it is the world we live in and we can only hope to change it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0zJZu0a4

No comments:

Post a Comment