Sunday, February 8, 2015

Who Am I?

Hello, I am Michael Moreno, a senior here at Hunter with a major in General Media Studies. For most of my life I have been a creator of Media (Hip Hop & R&B music production,) and I have worked in the media field at the New York Daily News for the past year (although I am starting a new job tomorrow.) Aside from creating media, I am definitely a consumer, and love music, video games and social media. I think everyone in our society needs to be involved with media in some way or another as there is simply no way of avoiding its overwhelming presence. I don't get to create as much as I'd like to anymore (stupid adult responsibilities,) but I do so whenever is humanly possible.

When I think about media today, I tend to think most about social media. This is not because it is my favorite type of media or the most necessary, but because it is the type of media that the general public gravitates towards, a place where everyone feels like they have a voice. I think that this aspect is very important going forward as everyone likes to feel empowered and part of a greater experience. Social media is where I get most of my information of current and media events. Again, social media allows you to be part of a larger conversation and is a place where you can get almost anyone's opinion, not just the thoughts of the large media companies. I love this aspect of social media, but also understand that you have to be careful and make sure you filter the information. Plenty of lies are told on social media, you just have to be aware of what they are. I would say that this media is a part of my every day life. I visit numerous blogs on a daily basis and am also a Twitter user. I love Twitters stream of information and feel that it is the best avenue for me to keep up with the world's happenings.

Other than social media, the two things I use most are YouTube and movie or television streaming services (HBO Go happens to be my favorite.) I use YouTube all the time, mostly to find music or watch producers make music. For me, YouTube is the best library of music on the internet, and you can find almost anything you want (including a lot of things that you never knew existed.) I love the streaming movie services because there is almost always nothing on television and I can watch some of my favorite shows on them. I would say that I spend most of my nights doing just that.

Producing music has always been my favorite thing to do. I started making music when I was 15, and little did I know at the time but I would still be doing it 17 years later. I have done some great things over the years and am currently working on an R&B album. Below, please find an example of something I produced....


No comments:

Post a Comment