Sunday, February 8, 2015

This is who I am (a vague description)

Not my picture but it's badass
     Talking myself has never been easy for me. You’re probably wondering how that can be since everyone (admittedly) enjoys letting the world know who they think they are or what role they have in the world.  But I never know what picture I would want to paint of myself or even who I am. I can list them off but does that define me as a person? I’m a student, I’m a writer, I’m hard headed and become easily obsessed with anything significant and powerful, I’m a feminist (a bad one but I’m still learning) but most importantly, I’m Stephanie Matamoros and I’m trying to find my place in this media driven society.
     As a transfer student at Hunter College, I have declared my major as English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Where does the media part fall into my academic path? Well, once I was enrolled to Hunter, I wanted to add an extra notch on my belt so I decided to minor in Media Studies since I’ve always had a passion for media and all aspects related to it (marketing, advertising, etc). I’ve also grown to have a strong interest in women’s portrayal in the media, as well as the representation of people of color in the media. I use Twitter, Blogger, Tumblr and various personal blogs to stay up to date with these issues. Unfortunately, I find myself at a crossroad with how I feel because it’s hard to unlearn what you’ve been taught for so many years.

     In this world of social media and smart phones, it’s easy to mold yourself into the person you want to be viewed as but in that same instant, it’s also easy to lose the person you were before it.  I’m still in purgatory when it comes to shaping my online persona but for the most part, I’m just myself. Just like your average young adult or teenager, I’m a member of most social media sites (TwitterTumblr, Instagram) but notice that I didn’t include any adverbs to the member part. You see, I occasionally make posts but I’m more of a consumer than someone who produces work. Over the course of the next few months, I aim to be more active and make my presence known in the world of media.

No comments:

Post a Comment