Sunday, February 8, 2015

Post 1: Who Do you Think You Are?


https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos 

My goal is to utilize media as a film documentarian by producing video material that will speak to audiences globally and manipulate the perspective of various common issues such as women inequality.  I would say that 90% of who I am can be measured against media, which influenced my upbringing via being active amongst youtube, films, television, various news sources, and social media.  The media is constantly entering my life on different platforms as updated news events manipulate my understanding of the world I live in. The existing concepts of feminism and patriarchy are very new to me just as film production is very new to me.  I find that this subject is a great place to start as it is a prevalent matter that concerns men just as equally as it concerns women and men in the sense of freedom of expressing one's inner self.  LGBTQ has also been affected by these patriarchal values that we are deemed to accept unwillingly.  

Our common experiences of events involving the Michael Brown shooting, Je Suis Charlie, and Sandy Hook incident, are all due to the involvement of mass media sharing.  Across various platforms, our personal world has become public, our thoughts spoken and the world has become smaller and more connected.  The media constantly reminds us of standards that we should and should not abide by.  Personally, I allow the media to enter into my social life but I proceed with caution.  The media displays facts sometimes, but in many instances it can be subjective.  The media attempts to educate one on issues and it has in many ways proven to be correct information, although it is up to us to question the media and ask if it is correct information we are accepting.  I feel that my identity needs to conform to the standards of society through influences projected by the media.  I am limited in the extent of self-expressionism due to the media hindering any "outspoken" modifications to the norm.  

The media reinforces ideas that encourage assimilation and conformity.  Mainstream media is the most common medium on an entertainment basis and passively absorbed by audiences. Films such as "Midnight in Paris" that do not pass the Bechdel test prove that our conception of women's independent values unsupported by men are practically non-existent.  The film, "American Pie" demonstrates the issues of sexual frustration in high students that desperately try to lose their virginity before graduating high school.  These portrayals of young characters have an immediate affect on the viewer who subconsciously retains that information.  I have learned to distrust the media in its ideal suggestive formalities, which attract a certain audience that horrifically believes such fabricated messages.  


No comments:

Post a Comment