Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Who do you think you are?

Hip Hop legends Notorious B.I.G.(L) and 2Pac(R)
What’s up! My name is Morgan B. Haywood-Joy and I am a Junior here at Hunter College, majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing, and minoring in Human Rights. When I was younger I dreamt of being part of the media realm. For the longest while I wanted to be a journalist. I had it all planned out, Anderson Cooper and I would be married and watch our empire flourish (this, of course was before I found out his sexual preference, but I digress). When it came to journalism, I loved the idea of providing the people with what was going on, raw facts whether they were good or bad. According to my family, it's because I’m what my culture calls a “maco mayor,” or someone who just loves being in other people’s business. Other than peaking my interest in journalism, I can say that the media does have a substantial impact on my life.For me, the music aspect of media has also been imperative. From as long as I can remember, I’ve been singing and had music everywhere. From having my mom quizzing me on matching the name of an artist to a song or vice versa.
When it comes to my consumption of media, music and gossip blogs as well as regular “news” outlets have the greatest impact on my life. Music is something that always will be prevalent for me. With it, I feel you can push the boundaries and sing or rap about issues that are going on in the world. The use of metaphors matched with a rhythmic notion is just beautiful. Also, historically and culturally even the slaves cherished music. It was their escape from their physical imprisonment to a height of spiritual emancipation. That’s what music is for me: liberation. Gossip sites and the like are also essential. Unfortunately to admit, I am habituated to checking five of these sites a day, every morning in a particular order.

As much as a “maco” I am, I am not a social media buff. Reason being that I was never too privy to the idea of telling a bunch of people I don’t know my business. Something about social media just never felt organic. Instead,it’s like most people are just there to comment on other people’s life or make comments as if the number of followers they have validate who they are in real life. As for my video choice,that's a glimpse into my life and culture. I consider myself to be wotless, or someone who's a free spirit, to some degree at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment