Monday, April 27, 2015

Yoko Ono - Cut Piece

Yoko Ono
Website: http://imaginepeace.com

1964 & 2003
(Images From Yoko Ono's Website )

When I think of Yoko Ono, I think of her as John Lennon's wife, a singer, and anti-war activist. I didn't know Yoko Ono is a feminist until I did the research. I found her art work very interesting. People reads "Cut Piece" project in many different ways, but to me, it stands out as a feminism art work. The video I found on Youtube is from 1965, she did not explain much about this piece of art.



I think her intention is for people to determine themselves, and feel the inner experience through the performance. After watching the video, I was a little moved by Yoko Ono's tears. Viewers might not know why is she holding her tears, and what is the main point of cutting the cloth apart. But through out the process, we see how a human may do to another human. The result of it makes people wonder why would they do that and what happen in the end. The amazing thing about art is that you can determine it in many different way, and there is no right and wrong. I see "Cut Piece" as an strong work of feminism. I see people tear woman's clothes apart, and feel ashamed of doing it. In this project, Yoko Ono is a representation of women, speechless and submissive. Strong Performance.

Here is an part of interview with Yoko Ono on feminism:

VOLLMER: What's your take on feminism and women's rights here and in the world right now?

ONO: I think there is an incredible repercussion. We stood up for feminism and all that, and it came to a point that we were attacked so much that women got very intimidated and said, "No, I'm not a feminist, no, I think feminism is bad." There's nothing bad about feminism. We have to help each other, because there's a lot of women in the world who are suffering because the fact is we're not equal. It's as plain as that. It's still a men's world. I don't know. We'll go on with it.

VOLLMER: What do you think about the revolutions in the Middle East with regards to women's rights?

ONO: Incredible, isn't it? I did know there will be some kind of backlash as well, et cetera. We have to work very slowly. Whatever happened in the Middle East is almost symbolic. Whatever happens to it, even if it just disappears, it's in our hearts, we'll remember it and that gives us incredible strength.

Reference:
Yoko Ono’s CUT PIECE: From Text to Performance and Back Again by Kevin Concannon
Yoko Ono on Lennon, Love, Feminism, and Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment