Sunday, April 12, 2015

Final Project Proposal

         My project will be a short film depicting a mother and her daughters, side by side in a split frame for the entire film, as their stories cross over and intertwine with one another. It will be scripted, based on my upbringing and research. The point will be to watch and listen as a relationship unfolds in front of our eyes between mother feminism and daughter feminism while struggling through life’s’ endeavors. 

Specifically in their household, school, sleep away camp, activities and hobbies, and eventually dreams/hopes/aspirations/goals in life which will be present from the beginning of the film as a source from each is coming from. I want to show the ups and downs of a mother/daughter relationship while both strive for “their” feminism ripping them apart or together, yet trying to maintain this bond. As a background the a dining room will be visible and hopefully I will be able to have it being set and cleared over and over by the daughters presented in the film. Depending on time, I plan to make this fiction but if I cannot than I will make a short documentary in which I will include my sisters and myself in the film or I will present the class with a script (with copyright of course) of my film with hopes of fellow students input and involvement.
             I think when asked the point in my film comes up when I look up images to reflect the vision of my film and what I “Google” are shadows of mother daughter relationships representing growing up and the struggle we, as adolescents and women in general face with ourselves, one another and society when we learn from our greatest source, our mothers to be the best us, women, we can be to retrieve the ultimate happiness.



         But to find happiness we have to fight and to fight we have to learn how to fight so who teaches us how to fight, is it our mothers or our fathers? What deems proper fighting and what doesn’t? All of these questions the various thoughts and tangents are what I want my film to accomplish. I want the daughter’s voice to her mother, I want the mother’s voice to her daughter, I want the sisters and I want for all of their opinion to be laid out on the table we so often are mean to set and clear. Thus serving as the constant background, playing in cultural and social upbringings. I know I touch on a lot of dynamics but my life is filled with all of the world’s complexities so my job as an actor and filmmaker is to show you my world through a lens and a story as I live it to make a difference and see a side we may not realize as daughters, mothers and sisters yet we fight for it everyday.
 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jesika,
    I really like the idea of presenting same family complexities from different points of view of each of the women in your family. When you say struggles and fighting for goals and accomplishments do you mean in a world of religion, a world of men or just in our world as a whole?
    Perhaps you could also utilize a comparison to the men in your family such as your father, brothers or even grandfathers, to emphasize on the differences of gender and maybe even of generation of struggle through jobs, relationships or every day lives.
    I look forward for this sneak peek of your your personal life and emotions.
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think covering the relationship between a mother and a daughter is great, and so important. While womanhood can be a unifying experience for a mother and her daughter, generational differences can (obviously) be extremely divisive. Society has so many rules and attitudes about motherhood that motherhood is extremely entangled with modern feminism, and I believe that that can manifest in any parent-child relationship. Older generations, I believe, can also surprise us with their acceptance of (or even gratitude for) modern feminist ideas.

    This is one of my favorite Ted Talks - - you don't need the whole thing, but the first five minutes or so deal with intergenerational attitudes and interactions regarding sex, if you're interested.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3tL9MMk3U

    ReplyDelete