Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Sperm Control

Dear Professor and Classmates!

When I decided my project will be to research more about male birth control pills (or in my own special term- the #SpermControl, I found I am eager to make it a topic that will be discussed amongst people in order to create more buzz around the subject. The option for these pills is something that people have heard of but were not really aware there were actually many attempts to find the one male birth control pill that will make it to the consumer market. Finding the reasons to convince men why it was important was easy. The most important ones in my eyes were to share the financial burden and responsibility with women, and to decrease the number of unintended pregnancies that lead to a long road of abortion women have to go through in our country. 
The most important thing for me to deliver to you is the conversation; we all want to change the world and lead a revolution that will give birth to a better reality. But for me, my project was to start a conversation. When I sat down to discuss my project with 9 of my good male friends, I was surprised to hear the enthusiasm and acceptance of the idea of the male birth control pill almost all of them had. Without telling them what I was thinking, they were conveying the reasons that were important to me. I was embarrassed I did not give them much credit before speaking to them, as I thought they will all deny the idea. But realizing they respect their female partners and that they are as well strive for more reproductive freedom just like us, was liberating and promising.
I want to show the world that we all agree, we think the same, and we want more liberation when it comes to our sex lives. Through our conversations we realized together how ironic it is that we are expected to keep our sex lives private, but then we have to abide to decisions our government decide on them. 
The video I made is a quick summary of my journey that began a couple of months ago and will hopefully continue a conversation that will lead to the desired product. I have shared the video on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube so I could reach a bigger audience. Feel free to spread it on yours! I have also created a hashtag and you are more than welcome to leave your ideas and comments using it - #SpermControl

Please enjoy my little journey discovering the

G I L I   L O E W

Bibliography:

Campo-Engelstein, Lisa. "Contraceptive Justice: Why We Need a Male Pill." AMA Journal of Ethics 14.2 (2012): 146-51. Feb. 2012. Web.

Contraceptive Use in the United States Fact Sheet. Rep. Guttmacher Institute, June 2014. Web. <www.guttmacher.org>.

Fawcett, Kirstin. "The Future of Male Birth Control Vasalgel, Implants, Pills and More." U.S. News & World Report/Health. N.p., 26 Feb. 2015. Web.

Lissner, Elaine. "Men Deserve Birth Control Options, Too." The New York Times. N.p., 2 Jan. 2014. Web.

Will Men Ever Have A Birth Control Pill? Dir. DNews. Perf. Kosta Grammatis & Trace Dominguez. N.p., 1 Feb. 2015. Web. <www.YouTube.com>.

No comments:

Post a Comment