Monday, May 11, 2015

My final project--female representation in animation


           My final project topic will be focusing on the Animated movies(Starting from the old times-Disney ones to later on examples like Brave,frozen and the Studio Ghibli animated movies from Japan). I was orginially going to organize each clip based on the timelines and to see how did those change throughout the times but then after talking to the professor, I switched to the themes like Weakness and Strength, how those female characters used to be vulnerable and don’t have the power to decide their lives but later on this starts to change and more and more female characters with strong personalities and abilities are starting to appear on the screen. So for the past ones I will be using Disney movies(Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The little Mermaid,Mulan) and show some of clips that represent main characters’ weakness and how some of the movies always have women as evil characters. 
          After talking about their vulnerabilites, I will switch the idea to the positive sides, for example, instead of showing Disney female characters, I will also be showing “The legend of Korra”, the famous “Brave” and “Frozen”, I will also pick some Japanese animated works like the Studio Ghibli movies(Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke), those female characters have strong personalities and decide their life paths and also Saber from the anime called “Fate/Zero”, she is powerful and instead of hiding at men’s back, she protects other people from danger and has the ability to defeat the enemy. Since Disney movies can be seen everywhere and everybody knows them, I think it will be better to incorporate animations from another country so that it has more variety of contents and it will be better to show the audience that this change does not only occurs in US but in other countries as well. As for my project format, I was going to put the voiceover and do the feminism review that kind of video(can be seen from feministfrequency.com) but then I figured it might be boring for audience to watch since this kind of review videos can be seen everyday and it’s not eye-catching. So I ended up with doing a “trailer-like” video as inspired by some youtubers and animation trailers because I think at least that will sounds interesting and will make audience want to see more, and trailers are easy to understand so it doesn’t required a lot of transcripts which I think people prefer to watch the video rahter than seeing a lot of subtitles. The whole video will be down to almost 5 mins which is pretty long for a “trailer” but it has a lot of contents so I hope people will enjoy my video!

Project link!!!!!:




No comments:

Post a Comment