Monday, May 11, 2015

Final Project @ItsOkayGirls

For the final project, I will create an Instagram account based on women lives. The whole purpose of this account is to make girls feel better about themselves without having to shave, wax, go on a diet or any other change to make others happy.  I created an account @ItsOkayGirls on Instagram, each month will have different topic. For Example, the topic of May will be related to hair removal. It will be a movement that trend to be regram and repost in social media, which telling people it is okay to be who they are. The content will be recommended links to watch or pictures related to the struggle of every women.  Also, from an inspiration of Human in New York, I decided to go on the street to ask guys' and girls' opinions on hair removal, and post them on the instagram. Hopefully their stories and thoughts can inspire the women out there, this will be the whole purpose of the project. 

My point and purpose are not to promote that women still needs men’s approval of doing things or not doing things. I realized women are easier to get involved in the feminist movement than men, so this is just the very first step for getting men involve into the movement. Many women still criticize themselves with the male gaze, so if the male can make the first move then it is worth a try. Also, women tend to judge other women and follow their women role model, so it is also good for women to share the hashtag and pass along with it. In order to make this trend working, I hope the video get reposted by someone influential or popular. Hope the beginning of this Instagram account can raise the awareness to the world and reduce some of the pain for women.





Topic of the Month: Hair Removal.

Women used to concern about how they look in front of others, either to men or another women. We women always try hard to make other satisfied, in order to feel satisfied by others’ approval, for example, hair removal. I start shaving when I was in junior high school, the reason I began to shave is because somehow people think it is better when it is cleaner. The myth we get from media tend to tell us that being clean and sexy is good and fashionable, so we do it no matter what, just to fit in the society’s expectation standard. After years of shaving, I did my first bikini wax when I was 20 years old, after that I start to make an appointment to regulate the waxing session in a deeper way--- Brazilian wax. I did it because I want to look cleaner when wearing a bikini. I did it because I think my boyfriend might like it and love me more, and I did it because I want to feel better than other girls that remain hairy. Overall, I just feel that I have a higher and better sense of lifestyle than others, it is superficial and vanity.
Picture from Statistic Brain


 After years of having these purposes to get the wax, I finally realized it is all not worth it. I did couple research on women waxing. Usually, people who promote the service are the sellers, not the doctors. Lots of salon website have a FAQ page, which inform and educate the consumer to believe that no hair is GOOD, in order to get you into the salon and feel bad about your natural look. However, base on my experiences, waxing is painful, and causes ingrown hair, and your boyfriend do not really care if they love you a person. Hair is there for a reason.

Here is an example of the post I made.







Below is a video from Buzzfeed of  Men Get Bikini Waxes For The First Time.



Link to the Instagram Account



Related Research:

Sport, Jamie. "Social Media Can Be a Powerful Tool – If You Know How to Use It." TheGuardian. N.p., 28 Feb. 2012. Web. 11 May 2015.

"Shaving Statistics." Statistic Brain RSS. N.p., 18 Aug. 2012. Web. 11 May 2015.

Susan. "Reasons Why Women Shouldn't Wax!" The Eye. N.p., 10 Aug. 2014. Web. 11 May 2015.

Schocker, Laura. "Bikini Waxing Dangers: 5 Health Risks To Consider." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 29 Mar. 2013. Web. 11 May 2015.

"Beware the Killer Bikini Wax." Womenshealthmag.com. N.p., 9 May 2009. Web. 11 May 2015.

M, Kylie. "9 Brave Guys Tell What They REALLY Think Of Your Brazilian Wax."What Guys Really Think Of Women With A Brazilian Wax. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 May 2015.

SOLLEE, KRISTEN. "Bustle." Bustle. N.p., 16 Jan. 2015. Web. 11 May 2015.






No comments:

Post a Comment