Sunday, May 10, 2015

My Final Project - Our Mother's Daughters - A Short Film (in the works)


Hello Hello My Fellow Classmates! 

     As most of you know by now I am making a short film for my final project about mother/daughter feminism. I chose this topic because it not only jumped out at me but I come from a family where family helps define who you are in life and it seemed only right to do something to show where becoming  who I am had a little something to do with a feminist mother who never said no and never has given up on her 4 daughters, son and husband.
     My film is structured around 5 women, a mother and her 4 daughters. As of recent news, I will be playing all 5 characters. I'm still figuring out the details of the Mother whether I'll have her in shadows, as we live in each others shadows as daughters or I'm just going to have her straight up as a character like her daughters. The film will explore the girls through their adolescent years while growing into young women based on their relationship and influences from their mother and sisters. The dialogue, scripted, will be structured in video diary forms, spur of the moment expressions and cross over between all 5 women due to similar content. As for the setting, I am going to have a constant background of the 5 women setting and clearing a dining room table through the entirety of the film. My purpose for this choice is to play into the different mindsets behind the kitchen or dining room table forced upon, enjoyed upon, and actively engaging in this act because of who we are as women , positively and negatively.
   
     My goal is to express what it means to have a feminist as a mother, who has influenced and continues to influence her daughters to be self sufficient, strong willed young women and ultimately mothers. I've attached a picture of my 3 sisters and I with my mother right above to give you an idea of the picture I'm creating from its main source, my family (the rest of the clan are pictured below). Their stories and their bond will be explored through the hardships and struggles of maintaing the relationship between mother and daughter, sister and sister, mother and daughters combined, so we as an audience are able to see the truth of growing up to be a feminist woman in a positive form surrounding by a forcefield of women in a culture that might counteract that. What do I mean? The film's culture is Jewish oriented and will be coming from the Modern Orthodox mentality as I and my interviewees know it. There is no hate, I repeat no hate. I and my family love my religion and how we have grown up and continue to grow, but there is the struggle and that is evident in the film from the Mother's perspective and the will of her daughters to question or not or to follow or not versus trust and the ability to wake up every morning and live.
   
     I have gathered materials from books, articles, poetry slams, blog posts, museums, and most importantly through interviewing women (including my family) who come from similar backgrounds.    

     I have to admit, I am super excited about this film. And although it is mine, I want it to be all of ours. This is where you come in, below is the link to an active blog of my progress and where I am at in my filming process. You'll see images, videos, comments and music of all raw footage. This rawness is what will make my film so great as long as you come on the ride with me. So listen up, I want you all to follow it. Seriously. But in following I need you to add comments of memories, suggestions, thoughts, any remark that comes to your mind when you see what I have posted and will continue to post including stills from the film itself. I can't show you footage right now because it's not ready for you, plus I've just changed casting to solely me, YAY! But I can show you my work thus far, my research, and where my head is at. I hope you join the ride my glorious audience, this isn't something you want to miss. 


Cheers,
Jes

    My Forever Inspiration
The Rozenberg Family, aka my posse

Resource List/Bibliography: 

1. Interviewed (April/May 2015): Dr. Suzanne Sirota Rozenberg, Fanyelle Mael, Elana Glasser, Emily Daniel  

2. The Mother / Daughter Plot: Narrative, Psychoanalysis, Feminism
 By Marianne Hirsch (Book)

3. New Feminist Voices in American Literature: Telling Tales of Mothers and Daughters
By Mabel Deane Khawaja (Article) 
Published by The Humanities Collection (Journal)

4. Mothers and Daughters
By Marianne Hirsch (Review Essay- JSTOR)

5. Lives Together/Worlds Apart: Mothers and Daughters in Popular Culture
Suzanna Danuta Walters
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA PRESS
Berkeley · Los Angeles · Oxford
© 1992 The Regents of the University of California
Chapter Five—
Terms of Enmeshment:

Feminist Discourses of Mothers and Daughters
Preferred Citation: Walters, Suzanna Danuta. Lives Together/Worlds Apart: Mothers and Daughters in Popular Culture. Berkeley:  University of California Press, 1992. http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/ft658007c3/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment