Monday, May 11, 2015

Project 3: So You Say Girls Don't Like Nerdy Things

Image result for comic dressFor my final Project, I have created a hypertext project where I present my research on Females and Geek Culture, an area of culture where women are so underrepresented that the general population within the world of Geeks simply doesn't acknowledge that women like the nerdy kinds of things just as much, if not more than, men. By nerdy things, I refer to Comics, TV shows that originate from comics, Video games, and all of the different things that fall under this scope. My project has looked particularly at a brief, simplified history of women in relation to the inner workings of the comic industry, and their effect on the industry, and the effect of their absence from it. It has also looked at the geek girl struggling to make the world of nerds her own dominion, fighting against others who use stereotypes to understand their motives for trying to be part of the community. Lastly, it has looked at how these things tie into the issue of harassment within the culture, either physically or through hate. To check out my project, you can click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment