Monday, May 11, 2015

Final Project- Body Hair Movement

Youtuber who joined the "No Shame No Shade" Movement
For my final project, I decided to create a blog that is dedicated to self acceptance and promote body hair positivity. This is an expansion from my group project where I discussed the taboo subject of underarm hair and how the media spins it so that we should feel shame over something so natural. One of the things people hate talking about is body hair, whether it's on their arms, legs, face or stomach, it's one of those cringe-worthy topics that people often dismiss. People think that because you don't talk about something, it fails to exist.
Queen Miley rocking her pink pits and pubes
That's why I decided to create my blog, Babes With Body Hair. The reason I've decided to go with a blog is because it gives me a voice to express how I feel about this new body hair movement and to promote self love. As a young girl, I suffered from poor body image partially because of having a little more hair on my body than most girls. I felt like an outsider and ultimately, not worthy of being called beautiful because I couldn't accept myself the way I was.
With this blog, I want to create a community where women of all ages can feel comfortable to keep this conversation alive and create a more positive stigma to body hair on women in the media and in real life. In order to integrate myself into this low populated community, I have created the hashtag #babeswithbodyhair or #BBH when I reblog or share content related to this topic. I even plan to publish one of five parts of an essay I am writing about my journey with accepting this natural "flaw" and hopefully, that can open doors for other girls to share their stories (positive or negative) with having body hair. The site itself is still under construction and has so much left to fulfill but I hope that as I continue to work on creating content and a positive environment, that more people will catch on and spread love to women whether they choose to remove their body hair or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment