Sunday, May 10, 2015

Media Should Not Define Women. Final Project

For my final project, I wanted to focus on the representation of women in the media. Because media influences society in a way that degrades women or does not empower them at all, I wanted to raise awareness on those subjects. I've had a couple of interviews with people to discuss how they feel about the representation of women and how they felt about it. I digged deep, I wanted them to realized what media does and how it makes women feel.

From experience, at a young age, girls are exposed to the objectification of women, the degrading lyrics in music and the violence in video games.  All of it comes from men, men who want to control women, who want to see women powerless so they won't be competition. I've explained to my interviewees (especially to the guys I've interview) what media does to women, what this leads to (such as eating disorders, depression etc.), what it is doing to our the generation of young teens today and how there is no positive influence for women in the media. Our generation relays on the media so much that it becomes social standards.
Text about women in media

I've put together parts of the interviews and made an audio. I want this audio to be heard so people can see how REAL people feel about the representation of women in media. I want people to see that it is okay to disagree with media, that the degrading and the negative influence on women is wrong and that's not what we want to see. Society needs to fight for the positive influence of women instead of promoting them as objects. With the real life experience the interviewee has had, people (especially men) needs to hear what almost every women go through in their teen years.
Also with this audio I want people to understand that media is not what we should. We shouldn't believe that all women should be thin and all men should be more powerful.  We should not stereotype ourselves because of media and we should not rely on media to define us.






Newsom, Jennifer, dir. Miss Representation. Girl's Club Entertainment, 2011. Film.
Kilbourne, Jean. Beauty and the Beast of Advertising. Print
Kilbourne, Jean. Deadly Persuasion. New York, NY: Free Press, 1999. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment