Sunday, March 29, 2015

Final Project: Walk a mile in their shoes: Flipping the Script

Photo of Nicki Minaj being interviewed
by two men. Her face seems uncomfortable
as if being asked something she did not
agree with.
As simple as my project may seem to some, I'm pretty excited to put it together. I realized that without our looks nothing is important about us. So for my final project I decided to flip the script and reverse the "roles" of men and women, using hollywood interviewing style as a guideline. As some may have noticed, in the media its rare when women are asked intellectual questions. If its not about what they are wearing, what products they use (to look like them) or what their workout routine is, then the rest is non-existent. Its rare that women get asked things that require more than a second thought or things that allow people to see their intellect and see how their minds truly work. All the questions asked revolve around vanity and sex. So for my final project I would like to switch up the interviewing processes that hollywood uses and flip them so that the women are answering questions that are usually given to the men and vice versa. 

An ad that displays a man and woman where the
 man is posed just like the woman and seems a bit
 off-putting. It shows how ridiculous it could be,
 though it has nothing to do with interviewing. 
My goal is to create a video that will feature about 5-10 men and women. In this video the men will be asked questions about their vanity, the products they use and if possible things about their personal lives (i.e.: are they single? nothing too personal or sexual). As for the women, they ill be asked questions about social issues, their recent discoveries etc. At the end of the interview I will ask the men how they felt about being questioned solely based on their looks as well as if they know that in the media women are portrayed as such. The women will be asked how they felt receiving questions that had nothing to do with their vanity. This first video will be my first step in setting up a flip the script series of my own. I would hope that in the near future I can work on a "Cat Calling" version where women are "Cat calling" men in the street and record their reactions. I will upload the video to both Vimeo and Youtube. 

I hope to spread awareness to the younger generations and of course our own about how women are treated in the media as a whole. My goal is to show how ridiculous the treatment that women get can be. I want to be able to display the idea that patriarchy can affect how both men and women are treated and how its the main reason why women get treated as objects instead of people. I want to be able to show people that there's no reason why women cannot be put on the same level as men, especially with something so simple as answering questions during a video. I want to be able to show that women are also capable of holding a conversation and have great ideas and things to say. It wills how that they can be more than just their looks. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of reversing the gender-oriented questions on the different sexes. It will be refreshing to hear the females view on something other then fashion for once. It would also be cool to incorporate one video of you asking the female the vanity oriented questions and the men the social engaging questions prior to the switch so we can see how big of a difference the gender reversal makes. You should check out this video web series called the Flip Side in which they do gender reversal for just about every thing. Below is a link to one of their videos doing gender reversal at the gym:

    https://screen.yahoo.com/flip-side-workout-000000175.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea and have seen it starting to bubble up in the media with actors and actresses. As an actress I can only hope to be interviewed one day about my role and character, the work versus my body or my personal life unless I see it fit to share that with the world. But for the world of film and t.v., that is what interviews should be about and I think you have a strong goal in mind to convey this pressing issue. The film Cinderella just came out and lead actress Lily James has been constantly criticized for her small waist, to fight back she brings up the film's content shying away from her natural body when she does have a ravenous appetite with the help of her male costars to justify. Kristen Stewart is another example, an actress finally gaining recognition for her art rather than her ex-boyfriends recent engagement, I mean she just became the first American actress to win a Cesar let's discuss that at the next interview with an actress or actor verus FKA Twigs. Also there's a bunch of video's on youtube from The Hollywood Reporter where actresses are sitting around talking for an uncensored interview where they discuss a world full of topics that maybe very interesting to look into as they ask one another and have the interview guy there as well talking about their films and lives, where the media and American has gone too far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN05Tk-J_xI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby, your proposal looks and sounds amazing! I love the way your going about executing your project as well. I agree women in media or in general for that matter are not asked intellectual questions, we're asked superficial things like what make-up we're wearing or the clothes we're wearing and things of that nature. I think you'll definitely spread awareness with what you propose and I look forward to seeing this presentation.

    ReplyDelete