Sunday, March 29, 2015

Final Project - Portrait of Nomi Ruiz

I want to tell Nomi Ruiz’s story for our class since I just finished up an album with her. I wanted to talk about her life as a transgender female artist. How she got there (her early life and path to where she is now), how she felt/feels, what roadblocks she has run in to, any misconceptions about her, how she is treated by her peers and where she thinks she will be going in the future (her hopes and goals.) I also want her to talk about our album (the songwriting process, maybe give a brief description of each song, why she decided to do the project, etc.) I have no sources for this paper other than Nomi. Her and I have built a great relationship over the past 5 years and I'm hoping she opens up to me a little bit. She has a very interesting story and I feel that she can be a pioneer for transgendered people everywhere. I will lay the paper out like a story, culminating in the creation of our album. I will supply the music along with the paper.

So far, I have submitted all of my questions to Nomi. When I receive them back I will create a story out of them. We have already completed all of the music, which is in the process of being mixed. I should be receiving the questions back from Nomi within the next two weeks and hope to have my project done by the first week of May. I am making this for myself, Nomi and everyone who has misconceptions about transgendered individuals. I think it will be a great piece to go along with our album.

The music will be distributed (hopefully sooner rather than later) to our audience and I will put the writing about it on a website to support the album. We are currently shopping the album to various labels in hopes of having one of them distribute it for us. This is a great way for me to not only show off my music production skills but my writing skills as well. After the semester the album will be released and I will continue to promote it as time goes on. You can listen to a song from the album here, and see a clip from one of our studio sessions here.

1 comment:

  1. I have some questions for you although I do not know what questions you asked her. Does Naomi feel like the spokesperson for the transgender community and how does she feel about it. I think you may be able to relate some of what she says in regards to her experience to some of the ideas which Courtney Cox from Orange is the New Black shares in her interviews. See if she has a lot in common with her or if her life is completely different aside from being a transgender artist. I think a timeline would be interesting if you have not planned out your structure yet, to see the growth from her means of expression in the classroom to her music career and how it has changed her life? How does she see herself despite the way the public does. I can't wait to read your article.

    ReplyDelete