Saturday, March 28, 2015

Final Project - What is Pretty?

       
This is an image of the media Beyonce received from her what is pretty campaign.

           For my final project I will be creating a website, that defines pretty. When I say defines pretty I mean it will look at what the media deems pretty and how it differs from what regular every day people would deem pretty. Currently I have been looking at different definitions of pretty, numerous articles of backlash towards media criticism on the topic, and interviewing a diverse number of women and men about their ideas on the topic of “What is Pretty.” My goal is to have all my research and interviewing done by Spring Break, so that after all I have t focus on is the technical procedure in putting together the site.

The picture speaks for itself
            As stated in my initial summary of the final project, I was really inspired by the readings and class discussion of blog number three, and I cam across so much information in regards to what is considered pretty and what is not.  The medias idea of the ideal beauty differs  greatly from what myself and many others who I have conversed with deem pretty and beautiful.  Even though we don’t agree with the medias views, how we are represented in term of the media reflects what others think of us. But it doesn’t at all define or portray what we females think of ourselves.  It will also look into the beauty ideals of other cultures and how beauty differs globally. The main goal of my site will be to point out the flaws in what popular culture considers pretty, and to provide the counter argument to the views. It will encourage females to feel good about the skin there in, and hopefully want to take social action. The visitors of my site will walk away feeling contempt with who they are. What one deems pretty is not always what someone else deems pretty.
       
Stills from a video about the
transformation of beauty
  
To make this project interactive, I am contemplating on adding a commentary section where people can post their own opinions, ideas, supporting information, photos, or anything else of that nature.  This will also lead the project/cite to progress after this semester is over. Overall this cites is a work in progress that will be completed sometime towards the beginning of May.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! The interactive website and all is amazing! One suggestion I do have is instead of the website being what the media thinks is pretty (correct me if im wrong please lol) I think the website should be dedicated to debunking that and being solely what WE think is pretty and have the commentary uplifting those theories rather than putting it down?

    The Dove beauty campaigns are one of those ideals that I find perfect for debunking those beauty standards, though they have some flaws here and there, small ones where I feel they need even a more diverse selection but other than that it's a perfect place to start.

    Here's one of my favorites videos from the campaign that can offer some inspiration!

    http://youtu.be/XpaOjMXyJGk

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dejanira,
    This idea is great and could definitely could keep going and will always be interesting as beauty is always a current topic of conversation and controversy. I have a few suggestions for you:
    First, you can upload a few articles from tabloids or talk shows every week, that discuss the topic of beauty just to emphasize how much our media is concerned and involved around it. Second, you can also maybe put in a questionnaire that will reveal individual feelings of what beauty is; some might say its physical, some internal and some might say spiritual, but from that you can always draw new statistics and create an interactive dialogue about your findings to keep it going. This website is great for creating surveys like that- https://www.surveymonkey.com
    It will be so interesting to go back to your website five years from now to discover how thoughts and opinions on beauty have evolved throughout the years, in media and in people's view.
    Good luck!
    Gili

    ReplyDelete