Monday, March 30, 2015

Final Project Proposal


I am proposing to shoot a 5-minute mini-documentary that analyzes how women perceive themselves, through the lens of non-native American women. My goal is to exploit a fresh perspective on the general treatment of women in America .  I hope to find subjects who are not completely acclimated in the U.S.  The most confrontational views tend to arrive from people whom do not necessarily deal with the heat of the situation directly, since they have not been affected or desensitized nearly as much as natives of the U.S., born into a society where pop-culture and consumerism are among the most valued.  I am aware that the issue of gender inequality is on a global scale, but I hope to uncover the shock of international students and habitants as they may notice a difference in how our country is run as opposed to theirs. What is that difference? What ideals do women have in the U.S. that vary from their own nation of origin?  I want to have as many controversial opinions pulled out in this project as possible to elaborate on the lack of extent towards finding a solution for women’s rights globally.


Sweden has the highest proportion of working women to working men in the world, new mothers and fathers get generous parental leave, and it has been so successful some claim that it has gone too far.  Now they have progressed to cover more important issues such as debates over whether boys should learn to pee sitting down or standing up.  Are we trying to strip boys out of their manhood? This was all mentioned in a Euronews segment on youtube. Women’s rights are garnering a lot of attention in the media across the world, which is why I think it is just as important to hear voices from international backgrounds as to hear our own. What will be the difference between views?  What do they have to say about us women? What do they have say about women they grew up with? Then I would also like to interview locals and ask them what they think about themselves. And what they think about the varying social situations of women in countries apart from their own. 


Image result for international women
The HeForShe movement embodies female empowerment in the UN and determines where we stand in regards to the issues of gender inequality.  As a result, we have received political attention from women around the world, as well as men have in support of this solidarity movement.  HeForShe gives women the supportive hand across nations of women by exposing and desensitizing the concept of women’s rights as if to relieve the world in suggesting that gender inequality will soon come to an end.  So internationally we are making changes, but still I do not hear enough voices internationally in the media and I am wondering why? Is it because of the language barrier? What is it that is separating us apart in spite of the HeForShe movement and collaborations between women across the world? Why do some countries not publicize the anti- feminist issues  they are fighting against and seek refuge from the U.S.  I want to find this out from the source.

In the media,  we often hear indifferent opinions disconcerting to the politics of women’s rights.  We hear opinionated disputes  from each other and it still sounds like we are drowning in the fishbowl of media.  But if we hear it from an international citizen, their response to the how  women are portrayed in the U.S. may be more alternative and interestingly subjective.   Our voices are drying up, but through fresh eyes and experiences to compare to the gender inequality issues, I hope my subject(s) can enlighten myself along with whoever reviews this film.  

I have not started my production yet, but I will begin by selecting interview subjects from Hunter College, where there are an array of different nationalities.  My second attempt will be in Central Park because then I can film right on the spot and it will be a fairly dynamic setting to shoot in. The current pre-production treatment will be interviews with several people who originate from countries outside the U.S. I will ask 5 or 6 questions that will lead to a discussion on the difference between right and wrong behaviors of women in their country and ours.  I would like to also interview 1 or 2 locals and see what they think about themselves just for the sake of having someone to compare to. I will use B-roll that captures how women carry themselves throughout NY and compare tourists with local women in NY. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hayim, I love your topic. I like the idea of different nationality perspectives. I am looking forward to know more about how people are reacting feminist movement all around the world.

    ReplyDelete