Monday, March 30, 2015

Final Project

Men are often afraid to express their feelings and emotions for the fact of not being ‘manly’ enough. “There is only one emotion that patriarchy values when expressed by men; that emotion is anger. Real men get mad” as Bell Hooks states in her book The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love. Men should not hide their true emotions behind anger or other men, for being afraid of being labeled as not straight or not man enough.
The final project is based on an article of the Huffington Post titled, “11 ‘Girly’ Things Men Wish They Could Do Without Judgment”. I will be making a video in which each scene will be based on one of the 11 topics talked about in the article. I am making this because I could relate to this topic and I want to show men in their early twenties that men should be able to express their feelings without being judge by other men or women. I will upload this video to Vimeo and will share it on Twitter. As a media major, this will make give me some experience on video production. I will be taking production classes in the fall of 2015 and with this video I want to demonstrate the type of video productions that I am capable of making.

These 11 things should not be consider ‘Girly’ because both men and women should be able to do them without judgment. Feelings and emotions should not have any gender. Things that we enjoy should not be judge by nobody of any gender. The word ‘Girly’ should not be seen as something negative. When we hear that word ‘Girly’, referring to men it is immediately portrayed as something negative. Patriarchy has created this negative meaning toward the word itself and many more related to women.






Hooks, Bell. The Will to Change: Masculinity, and Love.  Washington Square Press. 2004

2 comments:

  1. Hey i think it is a really good topic! at some point we need to help young kids to understand that it is ok to show feeling and emotions. It should be something normal. it will be a good idea if you can publish in some media that it is visit frequently by teenager. also it will be good if you can make few interview to young boys to see their own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freddy, I love your topic! I'm doing something similar with the idea that men cannot express their true emotions. I really like the spin you're taking on this idea by using the Huffington Post article. That's some awesome transmedia skills you're using!! Another classmate showed me this link, which I think also goes in line with your topic as well. http://www.psychologyofmen.org/understanding-emotions/
    Good luck with the project! I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete